ICE South Texas Family Residential Center in Dilley
Creative Commons
A two-month-old baby described as ill was deported to Mexico with his mother after spending about three weeks in immigration detention at a Texas family facility, according to Rep. Joaquín Castro.
Castro said the infant had bronchitis and was deported Tuesday by Immigration and Customs Enforcement after being held at the Dilley Immigration Processing Center. The child, Juan Nicolás, had been taken to a local hospital the day before before being discharged hours later, Castro wrote on social media. He added that the family's lawyer had told him "ICE deported the family with only the money that they had in their commissary—a total of $190."
"To unnecessarily deport a sick baby and his entire family is heinous," said Castro. "We are laser-focused on tracking them down, holding ICE accountable for this monstrous action, demanding specific details on their whereabouts and wellbeing, and ensuring their safety."
After a discussion with their attorney, I have confirmed that Juan, his 16-month-old sister, his mom, and his dad have been deported. According to their attorney, ICE deported the family with only the money that they had in their commissary—a total of $190. To unnecessarily…
— Joaquin Castro (@JoaquinCastrotx) February 18, 2026
The mother, Mireya López Sánchez, and her child attended an immigration court hearing Tuesday morning where a judge informed them they would be deported, Castro said in a previous post on X, without specifying when or where they would be sent.
I have an update on Juan Nicolás, the 2-month-old baby detained at Dilley, and his mother. Me and my team have been in contact with Juan’s family. Juan has bronchitis—according to his mom—and at some point in the last several hours he was unresponsive. Juan was still discharged…
— Joaquin Castro (@JoaquinCastrotx) February 17, 2026
More than 1,400 people are currently held at the Dilley facility, including roughly 400 children, according to families and attorneys cited by Noticias Telemundo, who allege inadequate medical care, poor-quality food and water, and overcrowded conditions.
The center, reopened during the current administration after several years closed, drew national attention last month after 5-year-old Liam Conejo Ramos was brought there following his father's arrest in Minneapolis, before being eventually returned to Minneapolis after a federal judge ordered their release pending their asylum case.
Legal advocates and medical experts have increasinly raised concerns about the treatment of young children at Dilley recently. A lawsuit filed on behalf of a Venezuelan family alleges their 18-month-old daughter developed severe respiratory illness after being detained there and was returned to custody after hospitalization without prescribed medications.
One physician warned in court filings that the child faced a "high risk for medical decompensation and death" if she remained in detention without reliable treatment. The Department of Homeland Security disputed the claims, stating that ICE "provides comprehensive medical care" and that the child received appropriate treatment.
The Department of Homeland Security has said detainees at the facility receive proper care and educational access, and that families may choose to remain together or arrange alternative placements for children.
Related-
Letters From Children Detail Life Inside Texas Immigration Detention Center: 'I Miss My School and My Friends'
-
At Least 32 Children Entered Foster Care Over the Past Year After Parents Were Detained or Deported: Report
-
DHS Quarantines Migrants at Texas ICE Center After Two Cases Of Measles Confirmed Amid Broad U.S. Outbreak
© 2025 Latin Times. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
Tags: Texas, Mexico, Joaquin castro, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement